Sunday, December 31, 2023

ANOTHER BIRTHDAY

 December 30th - another birthday and a big one this year.  I find it hard to believe that I am now 80 and have decided that I must, finally, be a "Grown Up".

As forecast it was HOT reaching 30 degrees C. with high humidity.  The fans were kept busy.

Having originally been going to have a quiet day with just the 2 of us we were expecting to have 6 around the table.  We planned an easy meal without using the oven.  As it turned out there were only four of us.  Doug's eldest daughter didn't come and Max' son, M, came on his own and didn't bring a passenger for company on the drive.  

It was a great day though.  I had several phone calls from the Welsh border, Australia and New Zealand with lots of texts and various other forms of message as well as several cards and well chosen gifts. My brother sent me a photo I had not seen before.



Doug and I prepared lunch between us and, as there were 2 fewer than we catered for we have plenty of leftovers for today.

We hadn't seen my stepson since before Covid so it was great to catch up with him and there was good banter around the table.  Doug's daughter left after the meal but M. stayed on until 5.30 when he set off back to Auckland.  He is going to return to stay at the end of January or beginning of February which will be great.

When he left we were both exhausted and I am still tired today.

Today is cooler (27 degrees) and, according to Metservice "Uncomfortably warm and muggy" but from tomorrow we are forecast to have 3 cooler dry days.

Last year on my birthday we walked the track at Taheke Falls and intend to go for a walk in the next few days.

One of my presents included this lovely dragonfly which is now on our kitchen window.


A lovely stem of roses from the garden



Doug made a colourful plate of cucumber and tomatoes. (Unfortunately our tomatoes are not ready yet but we have plenty of cucumbers.


A bouquet of lilies.


19 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Susan! Welcome to adulthood! ;)
    Would that the temps were a bit more favorable for you and Doug. The picture of little you on the swing is adorable. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be better for the rest of the week although it will still be humid. 29C today according to my phone.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations and Happy Birthday Susan! I'm glad you had such a lovely day, even if the weather didn't play along :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. In spite of the heat it was a great day.

      Delete
  3. It hadn't crossed my mind that your were xx; I'll soon be catching-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just a number and I am lucky enough to be fitter than many people a lot younger.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday for the 30th. Here's hoping your weather is a whole lot better than here, torrential rain in short bursts, overflowed the spouting, ran from one section down to our neighbours, and very quiet in the street for New Year's Eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. Raining here. Quite steady but not torrential. Happy New Year to you and Hugh.

      Delete
  5. A lovely birthday. And easier to have a catch-up with only four at the table

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday - what a lovely photo. I have a similar one of me also sitting on a swing with a similar hairstyle! I seem to remember that I had just had my plaits cut off much to mothers chagrin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. I don't recall having the photo taken or seeing it before.

      Delete
  7. Wishing you many more happy birthdays. And a very happy, healthy and productive 2024.
    Love that dragonfly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The lovely dragonfly was from my stepdaughter in N.S.W. made locally and purchased at the local market.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday, Susan. 80 years young - join the club! Peter Pan collar, puff sleeves. Was the bodice smocked? I remember those dresses well! So glad you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. Yes, I looked at the photo and am sure the dress was smocked.

      Delete