Wednesday, December 20, 2023

WEDNESDAY 20th

I thought it was going to be a quiet day.  First thing I phoned a cousin in Wrexham to thank him for his Christmas card and the card naming his late father as my godfather.  Now I am wondering who my other godparent is.

We have free parking in Whangarei for over 70's and it expires on your birthday every other year.  My drivers license also expires on my birthday.  I had my medical and last week we went to down to renew both but I needed an up-to-date photo license to renew the parking permit so had to wait for the new one to arrive which it did yesterday.

So this morning we went back to town and renewed the parking permit.  On the way we did a (hopefully) last supermarket shop before Christmas and went to Farmers for a couple of items.

I have been trying to get in touch with a lady I was best friends with at school.  We were last together in about 1963, yes 60 years ago and lost track of each other when we moved around.  She appeared on my school Facebook page but I had been unable to make direct contact.  Well, we finally made it today and had a good chat on the phone.  She now lives in Spain.

Doug got out the trellis to shade the back porch but it had come to the end of its life so he headed back to town to buy three new panels.


 It looks so much better as the old one was losing its "leaves" and will keep us cooler in summer.
I have also sent Merry Christmas emails out today but made a hash of it.  I did one for classmates and then changed it for everyone else but managed to send the wrong one, then managed to send one without the letter at all.  Must be getting tired.  That's my excuse anyway.

At least there are now less jobs on my "to do" list

12 comments:

  1. The back porch looks lovely and shady. Just what you need on a hot NZ summers day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is lovely at this time of year. Supposed to be a bit cooler today but feels hotter (humidity).

      Delete
  2. Free parking for over 70s sounds good! Even if you do have to renew it like the driving licence.
    It is nice to reconnect with friends...and make new ones too!!
    We haven't sent cards out this year, well just a couple...Pirate has given a charity donation instead..we will exchange cards with our neighbours.
    With everything going on a quiet celebration is what is needed!

    I like the trellis around your deck...let's enough light in without you overheating 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The free parking is great. Saves you having to find cash or work the parking machine. Not many cards sent this year, mainly email. I hope you have a lovely Christmas. Thinking of you and Pirate.

      Delete
    2. It will be quiet..but at least now he has further treatment to come within the next three months. A positive step

      Delete
    3. All the best for the new treatment.

      Delete
  3. Are those false leaves on the trellis - there look very effective?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wasn't very keen on having plastic leaves (the trellis is wood) but we couldn't think of any alternative. They have lasted 4 years which is pretty good considering the sun.

      Delete
  4. Gosh Spain is a long way to travel from Whangarei. good to catch up with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that the two of you were able to finally reconnect after so many years!
    The gratis parking for over-70s is a humane gesture. Would that we had it here!
    Happy Christmas to you and Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of any other towns here that have the free parking.

      Delete