Friday, March 27, 2020

DAY 2 LOCKDOWN

Quiet again first thing this morning.  We are still on Daylight Savings so when I opened the curtains at about 6.40 a.m. it was still dark.  Usually, most of the neighbouring houses would have their lights on as people get ready for work but this morning all was in darkness.

Of course, with the Lockdown in place today, it would be the day for the toilet cistern to throw a wobbly.  It flushed but then kept running.  Doug tried to stop the water by turning the stop cock off but could not get it completely shut and didn't want to force it in case it came off in his hand and we had water everywhere.  In days gone by it would have been an easy fix with the ball cock needing adjustment but nowadays things are much more complicated.

Doug phoned the Plumber who checked to make sure no one at the house was ill and then a very nice man turned up not much later.  He was able to turn the stop cock off but needs a part to fix the problem (most likely completely new innards).  Luckily, we have a second toilet so he left telling us that next time a plumber is in the area and they have the part he will call and fix the problem.

My cat, Kim, has got very fussy with her food, she is 16 now and has had some teeth removed and also lost quite a bit of weight.  I had just found a food that she would eat and she has been eating it for about a week but last night would not touch it so I put some different food out for her and ended up with 4 different choices.  Finally, this afternoon she went back to the food she has been eating.  I just hope I can buy more of it.  We are going to try doing an internet order tomorrow.

I have been busy, baked and iced a cake, gave the kitchen benches a thorough clean moving all the bits and pieces.  I also got out a new table cloth this morning and washed the table cloth and tea towels.

I have just had a piece of toast with avocado and tomato for my evening meal and a piece of tomato fell off the toast landing all over the clean table cloth and my new blouse. I have just washed the  blouse with some other washing and the table cloth is washing now.  So much for saving water, and  I am exhausted.

Kim in one of her baskets this morning



The clean and shiny kitchen




14 comments:

  1. We have Moxy who likes chicken of any variety, sachet, tin or when I have cooked some legs or roast.However he will hAve to be like the rest of us and adapt/adjust to what is available.My fav plunger coffee is in short supply, lots of items a ONE only, but we are coping. our street is SO quiet, the usual vehicles that go by early morning are not there, but friends wave, strangers wave, young and old.Thank goodness for a second toilet, no longer a luxury in our home either. XXXX from further south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of other chicken style cat food. Kim said this is my favourite, the only one I will eat so I bought plenty and then she refused to eat it. If I run out of the current favourite and can't get more she will HAVE to eat the other ones.

      Delete
  2. I am hoping nothing breaks down here. Thankfully my husband fixes most things. You were fortunate to find a plumber quickly.
    Sounds as though you're pampering Kim as much as you can. She is indeed an old lady, and a beloved one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Doug bought this house it had been a rental and he virtually gutted it. The plumber he used then to put in all the new things - toilets, shower, sink etc is the one we still use. They were very prompt and, as it needs a new part we could not have fixed it. Yes, Kim is well pampered so is Sophie the Lab/Retriever.

      Delete
  3. A sparkling clean kitchen is so uplifting when you see it first thing in the morning. I hope you manage to find more of the cat food - so hard when they get fussy with their food (we have one 15 year old cat in our menagerie and she also is quite fussy now but we have plenty of food for her).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have one cat now as the one in the header is no longer with us. Feeding her is completely different to feeding the Labrador who will eat anything and everything.

      Delete
  4. It's a nuisance when things break down in the house at the best of times, but now is not the best of times. When I worked on a farm we had a little Jack Russell dog. Where it spent its days nobody knew but it always turned up in the shed where the men gathered to eat their packed lunches. We'd throw him a piece of sandwich which he sniffed and then ignored, we'd try him with crisps, cake, chocolate and always the same reaction. When the last of us packed away our empty lunchboxes he'd spring to life and gobble up everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the more he refused to eat the more was put out for him. Clever dog.

      Delete
  5. I despise plumbing of any sort, always call the plumber. Kim looks so good for her age. We once had an 18 year old that suddenly stopped eating. We bought one of those little jars of baby food, chicken I believe and spread a little over her regular food. It was just the stimulus that she needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a good idea but I just looked and it seems the only chicken baby foods available here are things such as pumpkin and chicken or sweetcorn and chicken. I have other chicken cat foods so, if I run out she will just have to eat them. The first cat that Max and I had reached 18 years.

      Delete
  6. Very clean and shiny kitchen. I do like your kitty-in-a-basket photo as well. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole house and garden should be clean and shiny by the end of lock down

      Delete
  7. I imagine the plumber is still on the go and on call, it's good you got him to fix your loo, nothing more annoying than hearing the sound of running water. Our cat has taken to hiding in boxes but we are gradually getting through the unpacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Max and I moved to Whangarei from Waipapakauri I thought one of the cats had escaped and phoned both the nearby vets in case she was taken in to them. Eventually found her when I went to make the bed and she was curled up in a pile of blankets in the sun. Glad the move is going well.

      Delete