Tuesday, March 31, 2020

DAY 6 LOCKDOWN

We were surprised to awake to a foggy morning but knew it would soon clear and leave a stunning day.  Doug released a couple of Monarch butterflies and there were plenty flying around the garden although they all disappeared when I got the camera...

We had our usual walks and Doug has started working on the small garden in the front.  The concrete came from a neighbour who has just re-concreted his drive.  The plants were there but Doug is building it up into a more substantial garden.




My late sown beans have started to set and the seeds I found are coming up.  







On the left are two types of sprouting broccoli and in the middle two types of a small cabbage and on the right some more broccoli sown later.

The seeds I ordered recently from Kings Seeds arrived today although I don't think I will sow them until tomorrow.



 I was just talking to C., Doug's daughter who is doing our shopping, and she said there was quite a long queue outside New World.  The lady in charge asked if there were any "Essential Workers" in the queue and when she saw C's uniform went and brought her to the front of the queue telling everyone that this lady was an Essential Worker and needed priority.

14 comments:

  1. I buy most of my seeds from Kings as well :)
    Good luck with your gardening, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually buy seedlings but none were available and the only place I could find seeds was Kings. I have bought the odd packet from a nursery.

      Delete
  2. oh that's cool what happened at new world, nice way to show who is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had read about it and meant to tell C. but it was great that she was picked out. She had worked an 11 hour day (she starts at about 4 a.m. taking the mail from Whangarei to Waipu and then does her own Rural Delivery and then delivers for a courier) so it was great that she didn't have to wait in line.

      Delete
  3. Good on the supermarket for letting her go to the front of the queue. It will be so much easier now that she is shopping for you too when that happens.
    We

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kings Seeds are winners, and I see Skeinz wool store can take orders online, and post, although delivery will be slow. They have been added, as so many people at home might need knitting to keep away any feeling of isolation or more. Love the garden, that looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased with my late sown beans, keeping my fingers crossed that they keep coming. I am not a craftswoman so don't buy wool. I have knitted a couple of jerseys in my time one for my Dad and one for Max but it is so laborious - I can't knit and watch t.v. Have also done some crochet. Who knows if this goes on well into winter I may take it up again. More likely to bake. Keep safe

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that key workers are being looked after there. I'm trying to keep away from supermarkets and shop locally as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are very few places allowed to open during Lockdown. Supermarkets can but not small grocery shops unless special permission is given, usually for isolated places where there is no supermarket.

      Delete
  6. I love the fact that Doug released two monarch butterflies, it is such a lovely that you do to help them on their way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the count is down this year but there are normally three a week at present.

      Delete
  7. I am still doing our shopping. I get to the store early and can get in and out quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had thought of that but as they are asking all over 70's not to go to the shops, and we are both well past that, we thought we should be responsible.

      Delete