Thursday, August 13, 2020

MORE CASES AND QUEUES

There are now thirteen new cases in the community bringing the total in this outbreak to 17.  Meanwhile there has been panic buying and queues at Supermarkets.  I have not tried to go to the Supermarket, we will do an on-line shop in a day or so.  Our only panic was going to the Libraries yesterday, first to Tikipunga Library to pick up an item "on hold" and then to the main library as they have a better choice of books.  There was a queue to enter, one had to sign in and use hand sanitiser.  From lunchtime yesterday, when Alert level 2 came in the outlying libraries have been closed.  At least we now have a good supply.

There are also queues to get tested.  Obviously, Auckland, where the outbreak is, is the worst area with people wanting tests and people waiting over six hours for a test but also here the wait time at present is two hours.  The testing is for people with symptoms or connections to the Pacifica community or who have visited the various areas of concern but people are just wanting to get tested even if they do not have symptoms hence the extra long queues.

Auckland is at a higher level than the rest of the country and there are road blocks all around the city as people are not to travel either into or out unless they are returning home or in an essential service.  Apparently, a lot of people left to go to their holiday homes straight after the announcement was made on Wednesday night and people are still getting turned back.

I have also just read that there were two protests here in Whangarei today with groups saying that "they do not consent to the restrictions".  I think they have been watching too much news from overseas.  

The source of the outbreak has not yet been traced but I know that everyone is working hard on contact tracing.

On a happier note I spied Mr. and Mrs. Blackbird from the kitchen window this morning.  Usually, they fly away before I can get a camera but today they stayed just long enough.


12 comments:

  1. Everyone needs to heed the signs and obey!!! I worry so much more this time, family in Rotorua and granddaughter in Auckland University, I am making masks galore, with a pocket lining so a bought one can be inserted to give the three layers recommended. Family, friends have all asked for some. My way of being helpful I guess. Stay safe up there, I will get some books tomorrow, while we still can. I think only a matter of 24 hours or less till level 4 is in, do you have a smart phone with the Covid App? I tried mine this morning at our Mitre 10, it didn't work so went back and bingo, all was OK. Then New World, OK there too, then a local shop for sewing supplies, just in case, and OK there too.Stay safe.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a worry, I have family (Max's side) in Auckland. I downloaded the app at the start but kept getting messages on the phone about an app stopping so removed the Covid app and no more trouble. I keep a notebook of where we go. Well done on all the masks. Do keep safe.

      Delete
  2. That's bad news. I've read some online news but you have told me what's actually going on. Why oh why are people panic buying again. I saw Coramandel was suddenly very popular with Aucklanders. I bet Aucklanders aren't popular with coromandel residents.
    You're lucky to have all that reading material. Hope you're still able to walk too and get out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of Aucklanders coming up here as well. Yes, we can still get out for our walks, I think things may change tomorrow but we will still be able to have local walks.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Exactly, I just cannot understand the people protesting. The restrictions are only to keep us safe.

      Delete
  4. Some people are just selfish. Hope all goes well. Your track and trace is better organised , ours is getting there, but it is hopeless in England apparently. Keeping our heads down and getting on with things here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more cases today. We find out later what level we will be at from tomorrow and for how long.

      Delete
  5. I have confidence that your country will stop this outbreak before it spreads further. You have done it before and will do it again.

    We in the US are breaking records on deaths and there is little in place to stop it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so sorry for you over there and hope you are right about us.

      Delete
  6. When I read of the protestors I swear my eyes rolled back so hard into my head. It still boggles my mind that people who knew they were sick went travelling hence spreading their germs. Mind you having worked in retail for nearly 5 years I've had people sneeze and cough in my face, I don't know why I'm still surprised by peoples behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't understand the protesters. The trouble is that so many people are only interested in themselves.

      Delete