Tuesday, December 15, 2020

HEDGEHOG

We took Bobby to the vets for his vaccination booster today and when we got home were surprised to see a hedgehog walking across the drive.  It is the first time we have seen a hedgehog here and it is very hot (29° C. ) He/she was heading towards the dish under some pansies, obviously looking for moisture.

We put him in Kim's old run to get him out of the heat and  gave him  a dish of water and one of dog sausage.  He ate all the sausage and then went to sleep.  I have now opened the run to give an airflow to help keep him cool.

We hope he will be all right and stay in our garden.






12 comments:

  1. I had no idea you had hedgehogs in NZ. We do have them in the garden, but very rarely see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of them when we were on the "farm" but this is the first one we have seen here. Hope he is o.k. as he should not have been where he was in that heat.

      Delete
  2. The Pansies are looking good and it sounds like the hedgehog is feeling good after it's dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pansies have been in that pot for a long time, they stopped flowering and then had a second go. The hedgehog was, obviously, thirsty and hungry.

      Delete
  3. Such a heart warming story, I haven't seen a Hedgehog for years.
    Good for you.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lot of them on our 5 acres property further north but this is the first one I have seen in years.

      Delete
  4. Hedgehogs are not native to New Zealand and are considered by most a pest as they interfere with native wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, here he/she will eat slugs and snails. We have a lot of small lizards but they would be too fast for a hedgehog. I am always disturbing them on my potting table.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful visitor to have! I hope he is ok and yes around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope Mr. Hedgehog stays in your garden. I have not seen them since moving from the UK. The local Veterinarian in our village was very patient with me when I would bring in yet another poor hedgehog found half dead along the village lane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww lovely hedgehog, I love them. Every Summer I put out an ice cream container of water for animals and birds, tonight I saw 2 of the local cats drinking from it.

    ReplyDelete