Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Best Laid Plans

 As Robbie Burns said "The best laid schemes o' mice an men go oft astray".  Today, I had planned to plant out the numerous seedlings I have raised but it has been blowing a gale all day - not at all good for the plants that were doing well in the garden.  

Anyway, first thing, I had an email that a payment from my mother's estate had gone to my account in England.  I have been meaning to check the account for some time.  It only receives four small payments a year.  Luckily, this time there was no trouble logging on although I had difficulty finding the statement for the earlier part of the year.  I eventually found it and printed it off for future reference.

I was then able to transfer the funds to my New Zealand Account.  I used to do this by cheque but about a year ago decided it was time I used internet banking on the English account and it is actually easier than transferring overseas from my New Zealand account.  Just as well as banks here are finishing with accepting cheques.

I then did some printing and filing, getting my desk tidy.  Just as I was finishing  Doug's youngest daughter phoned and wanted us to pick her up from her mechanics and take her home.  She had just finished her second Postal run of the day and was then going to do the third run.  We drove across town and after dropping her home we came back for a very late lunch.

We have done a few routine jobs, had some catch up phone calls and had an unexpected out of town visitor.  I hope the self sown foxglove in the front garden survives the wind.  I took a photo of it a couple of days ago.  Not the best photo but it is difficult to find a good angle - I love the smaller heads in a ruffle around the main head.





14 comments:

  1. I've often wondered exactly what plans Burn's mice might be making. I do almost everything online these days, which is just as well in these Covid times. I love your foxgloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used on-line shopping a lot more since covid although I do like to shop locally when I can. Most of our foxgloves are now self sown and that white one is a beauty.

      Delete
  2. What a ginormous foxgloves, it looks as if it has been on steroids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a beauty. I wonder if Doug gave it a handful of fertilizer.

      Delete
  3. A busy, busy day! Sometimes we feel we have done nothing, until we add it all up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they all seem to be like that but at least we are not bored.

      Delete
  4. You had a full, busy day and that is always a good thing, especially in these times.There is nothing monotonous about your life. You and Doug are always doing something.

    The foxglove is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are always busy. We have lots of self sown foxgloves in the garden but that is the best of the lot.

      Delete
  5. I've always thought Burns was such a Debbie Downer!
    The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley
    And leave us nought but woe for promis'd joy.

    I always think he could do better reducing his expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to google Debbie Downer although the meaning was obvious.

      Delete
  6. What a glorious foxglove, mostly I see only single headed ones. I hope it survives the wind okay (we had strong southerlies all day).
    I would be lost without internet banking as I use it all the time. I thought I would miss my chequebook but I haven't!
    Enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still there this morning and the wind has died down thank goodness. I have used internet banking on my Kiwi account for years and find it so useful. Glad I finally got around to using it on my U.K. account.

      Delete