Friday, November 20, 2020

BUSY, BUSY, BUSY

Another busy week.  I suddenly realised that we are getting close to Christmas mailing dates and I hadn't even looked at making calendars.  Of course, here in the Southern Hemisphere, it is spring which is a busy time of the year with growing seeds, potting them up, planting them out etc.  Anyway, I had a look to see if I had enough photos for a calendar and managed to find 13 (one for the cover) and I have them on order (I got 2 first to check they were o.k.  (We send a lot of calendars as everyone wants them).  Not sending to the Northern Hemisphere this year as, apart from the astronomical cost of postage,  the postal service is a bit erratic.

We also spent a morning shopping for Christmas cards, Christmas presents and a yellowish umbrella to take to Grand-daughter's wedding in a week's time.  (In case of hot sun or rain showers).  

I have also been busy baking - a cake yesterday as neighbours came around for a cuppa and today some sweetcorn mini loaves which are delicious and will be good for me for lunch tomorrow when we go on the Whangarei Garden Discovery (16 gardens to view around the area).

Our Oak Leafed Hydrangea is looking good this year.





16 comments:

  1. I like the look of that Hydrangea; I must look to see if they're sold here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope one of my brothers sends us a calender this year. I always have a NZ one hanging on the wall.
    I wrote my Xmas cards last night and shall send them on Monday. Lockdown means I have time to think of Xmas early

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are going to take longer to get to their destination.

      Delete
  3. Sending overseas is so slow, so costly,once it was reasonable and you could choose to go fast and pay more, or slow by boat and send a long time ahead, not so now.Love your shrub, that is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We send a few calendars to Australia but mostly local. It costs more to post to U.K. and Canada than cost of calendar. Yes the hydrangea is wonderful this year.

      Delete
  4. I must have seen one of those Hydrangeas when I worked in Portmeirion village, but I don't recall it..it is spectacular!
    We realised a couple of days ago that the last posting date from here to NZ was in October!! We will still send what we usually do, they will be welcome whenever they arrive and the same in return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing them right now ready to post tomorrow (Monday) hope they get there in time.

      Delete
  5. It seemed that in years past every local merchant gave away free calendars but that practice seems to have stopped in recent years. I usually print one from the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still get one from our local chemist but like this one as well and everyone who has had one wants more.

      Delete
  6. I sent 10 Christmas cards from France in the third week of October. No one has mentioned them arriving yet. Still nearly 6 weeks till the big day so no need to get worried yet.
    OH and I usually spend three months per year based in Ruawai. We are so much going to miss our visit this year so I'll be green with jealousy looking at your photos of the Whangerai area this coming winter. Just don't mention going for coffee at Mitre 10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to go to the cafe in Mitre 10 when we had a Parkinson walk in Onerahi but think it must have changed hands as it went downhill and everyone agreed they preferred to go elsewhere.

      Delete
  7. i haven't seen a hydrangea like that before, the flowers are enormous. I've stopped growing cuttings as it is getting a bit warm here and they are just dying but the roses are blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the oak leaf, mine has smaller flower heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen them with smaller flowers as well. WE did the Garden Discovery tour this weekend and didn't see any in the 16 gardens.

      Delete