Sunday, November 1, 2020

SEASONS

I would not enjoy living somewhere without seasons.  My preferred seasons are spring and autumn as I do not cope well with too hot or too cold.  

I love watching our garden go through the seasons and, at present we have foxgloves, poppies, cineraria and roses all coming into bloom.  All, apart from the roses, pop up all over the garden which is slowly turning more into a cottage garden.

The latest to appear are some poppies.  The lovely one in the top photo I think was some seed from Blogger Jean.




The vegetable garden is showing promise as well with sugar snap peas, beans, lettuce and tomatoes, cucumber and courgettes all growing well.  

As far as food goes I really enjoy the stews and soups of autumn and winter but, by the time spring arrives it is great to move to salads and lighter food.  

That said we have just enjoyed a free range chicken roasted with garlic, orange and sage  with roast potato,  orange kumara (sweet potato) and Italian Precoce Brocolli straight from the garden.  Tonight  I will have smoked salmon and avocado on toast with a salad of lettuce, watercress , tomato, cucumber and asparagus.

Now it is time to put my feet up and read.  Contentment!

11 comments:

  1. I would be quite happy with a three season year.... just cut out Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winters are mild. I am more worried about the thought of an extra hot summer like yours.

      Delete
  2. I, too, have poppies, deep red singles and a plant with every one filled with petals, more than a multiple. Please let me know if you would like seeds of each, and if your bottom one sets, would love some in return. Your bean seeds are popping a shoot through now, time to put them out from the seedling pot into a bed with a stake all ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love seeds of the two poppies you mention. You can never have too many poppies. I have put ties around the one you mentioned and another the same that has just come into flower. Hope to get your bean seeds in the ground tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. We could do with a summer here that feels like summer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do seem to have had some bad weather over "summer".

      Delete
  4. The poppies are lovely - and your meals sound delicious! We, too, are beginning to move into the salads as the weather gets warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the computer it is 23 degrees today but feels a lot hotter.

      Delete
  5. Love the poppies and your food description. I enjoy reading about whats on other peoples dinner tables. Its so different from mine.
    You deserved your 'feet up' time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, also, enjoy reading about what other people are eating. I have always eaten by the seasons and just can't understand people who complain about high prices for things like tomatoes in the middle of winter.

      Delete
  6. Love poppies! I'm like you about the seasons, I don't mind winter but my favourites are Autumn and Spring. Summer for me is unbearable.

    ReplyDelete