Tuesday, September 13, 2022

FOR ROSEMARY - HUMMINGBIRD CAKE RECIPE

 This is the recipe as I copied it. It is for cupcakes but there is mention of a cake as cooked by her mother at the bottom.  The recipe seems very forgiving.  I only used 250g of brown sugar.  When I made it a week or so ago I only had a 220g tin of pineapple.  I only use pineapple in juice not syrup.  The last one I made I was a bit short on banana but every time it has come out fine.  Obviously, the shape of tin would make a difference to the cooking time.  I always add a pinch of salt to my cakes.  I hope you make and enjoy it.

HUMMINGBIRD CAKES

 


Cupcakes:

270g brown sugar
400g Healtheries wheat and gluten free baking mix
1/2t cinnamon
1t baking soda
1 tin 439g crushed pineapple in syrup – drained
50g coconut
350g (peeled weight) ripe bananas – mashed
1/2c walnuts – roughly chopped
3 eggs – lightly beaten
280ml canola oil

 

 

Sift flour, spice and baking soda into a large bowl. Add sugar, coconut and walnuts. Mix well. Add drained pineapple, banana, eggs and oil. Stir to combine – don’t over-mix. Place 1/4c mixture into each greased muffin tin. Bake at 180*C for 20-25 minutes . Allow to stand in muffin trays for 10 minutes after cooking. Ice when cool, if desired.

Icing

100g cream cheese
50g unsalted butter, softened
1t vanilla essence
225g icing sugar

Beat all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.

Note from my Mum: Sometimes I use this recipe to make a delicious cake. Bake it for 50 minutes, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.


Today I picked some of our New South Wales Waratahs.   I have three in a vase, have given 3 to a new neighbour across the road and will give 3 to our lovely next-door neighbour.


A bucket full of flowers








Today's vegetable harvest plus the first few carrots.



10 comments:

  1. I have heard of hummingbird cake but never made it. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious and ideal if you have leftover bananas.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if I could leave out the walnuts? Those Waratah are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds far more interesting than the usual banana loaf!
    Beautiful flowers..such intense colour

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big thank you for the recipe Susan - it sounds even more interesting with lots of interesting ingredients and flavours.
    The Waratahs are lovely - I have seen them growing in S. Africa - can they be dried?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not thought of drying them as I can usually pick flowers all year but have googled it and you can so will try some. I wonder if they will keep their colour.

      Delete
  5. Stunning Waratahs! The recipe for Rosemary sounds very tasty, by the way.

    ReplyDelete