Sunday, September 25, 2022

97th BIRTHDAY

Yesterday, Saturday, was my aunt's 97th birthday.  She is the widow of my mother's youngest brother and the sole surviving member of that generation. She still lives at home and her eldest son has moved in to care for her.  She still enjoys her garden and greenhouse and likes to make sure it has been watered.  

I phoned her, in Wrexham, and had a long chat with her son (my second youngest cousin) and then a short chat with my aunt.  After she handed the phone back to her son I heard her ask "am I 21"  now that is the right attitude.

Back here, we put the clocks forward last night.  I am not in favour of daylight saving.  I prefer to get up early and get work done and then by the evening I am usually too tired to want to take advantage of any extra evening daylight.  Anyway, it has been a beautiful day and we have had a good day in the garden - sowing seeds, putting up frames to support the dahlias when they grow and moving some plants.  

Tomorrow is a special holiday for the Queen but the walking group will meet as usual weather permitting. We often have more people walking on a Public Holiday than a normal day.


10 comments:

  1. Your aunt has lived a long life. I imagine she may still recall the Queen's coronation & what a remarkable thing that must have been for her.

    I am not a fan of daylight saving either. Our clocks will be put forward next week, I think. It's something I never remember until it's upon me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember watching the Queen's Coronation on television. Another Aunt (my mother's older sister) who lived 2 doors from us bought a tv for the Coronation.

      Delete
  2. Goodness; 97 is a wonderful age. I imagine that it's D who's caring for her, he must be around retirement age by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounds a good one! Long may she live happily.

    Thanks for the heads up about the clocks..we are at present talking to friends in Whanganui and Christchurch...plans are afoot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays I always google the time in the place I am phoning just to make certain. Last year a friend in Canada phoned me at 3 a.m. I was not at my best.

      Delete
  4. It takes me several days to adjust to daylight saving. It was a gorgeous day here as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it takes me a while to adjust but I much prefer "normal time" to daylight savings time".

      Delete
  5. There's lots of spring flowers blooming here now and your aunt sounds like a right character, bet she's a neat old lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have more spring flowers down there. Yes, she is a lovely lady.(just found your comment in spam).

      Delete