Saturday, September 17, 2022

FRUIT & VEGETABLES

I was just about out of avocados (I use them instead of butter on toast) so we went to the Growers' Market for the first time in a few weeks.

I was interested to see the prices of vegetables such as cauliflower and, although not as expensive as the supermarkets they were still expensive.  

I noticed these New South Wales Waratahs for sale at $3.00 each.  



I bought my avocados - $6.00 for nine.  They are seconds but will be very tasty.


We also bought a couple of plants - a Lavender and a perennial viola.

During Lockdown we had boxes of fruit and vegetables delivered by Taimahi Trust which gives work to people with disabilities.  They have just opened a retail shop almost next door to the Market so we went there.  There produce was excellent and extremely cheap so we bought pears, kumara, bananas and oranges. Even here the cauliflower was $8.00.

After a quick trip to the supermarket it was home for breakfast before 8 a.m. and then working in the garden after doing several loads of washing.  I picked another of the Romanesco cauliflower and some broccoli  clearing out their stems and adding to our compost.

8 comments:

  1. 3 dollars for Waratah is a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caulis are quite cheap here. Big ones are about 60p. I expect the East Anglian growers are pleased to get rid of them. I love them and usually buy 2 a week. Avocados are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the storms we had recently that decimated the crops. We were lucky here. I still have one that is not yet ready and must have picked 5 large Romanesco caulis so far.

      Delete
  3. Our cabbages are cheap. I checked up at the supermarket today. They had a few for 63cents a kilo. Also looked at the avocados . They are expensive here! But they're always expensive. Still a luxury item. Different cultures, different needs and prices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it all depends on where you are but it was the storms that have made prices so high.

      Delete
  4. I quite enjoy cauliflower, but not at those prices! I thought the cabbage was bad enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were surprised at the prices at Taimahi Trust. We paid $2.50 - $3.50 a kg for most items.

    ReplyDelete