Wednesday, July 22, 2020

QUARRY GARDEN AND MIDWINTER ROSES

The forecast was correct as we have had very heavy showers and strong winds.  My phone tells me it is 8 degrees C.  but it feels less.

The local paper reported on damage at the Quarry Gardens this morning.  The estimated cost of repairs is $100,000 and the work could take months.  These photos came from the Northern Advocate.

The damage at Whangārei's Quarry Gardens could take months to repair. Photo / Michael Cunningham

Volunteer crews were in clean-up mode on Monday. Photo / Michael Cunningham

Volunteers (from left) Mike Morresey, Kayla Franks and Stuart Peterson get stuck in. Photo / Michael Cunningham


There are a number of slips and areas where large holes were gouged out of tracks.  They hope to get part of the gardens open next week.

Yesterday I picked three small roses.  We would not usually expect to see these for at least another couple of months



UPDATE;

I have just received an email from the Quarry Gardens that the gardens are to be partially opened tomorrow but "Stage 2 will require contractors and engineering reports. We have significant structural damage to our stream banks that will require filling and stabilising. This is going to cost the Trust anywhere between $50,000 - $100,000." .  


There are more photos of the gardens here https://www.500-year-flood.whangareigardens.org.nz/

8 comments:

  1. That is sad to hear about the Quarry Gardens and the damage they sustained, I hope repairs go along smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have an amazing team of volunteers but there is a lot to do.

      Delete
  2. No doubt with some hard work, and plenty of cash, it'll all get back together again. It's around 5.30 am here, and I came down to some beautiful lightning, and a tiny bit of thunder. I wonder if we'll have an rain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gather you need rain. We got more today. Everything is very damp to say the least.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I think so and this is why they are opening quickly. Entry is by gold koha (donation).

      Delete
  4. I looked at the pictures from the link you provided. There is indeed a lot of damage. I saw they call it a 500 year flood – I hope that once repaired it won’t happen again for another 500 years. Can you imagine your area in 500 years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is that the one in one hundred year floods have been happening rather too often which, I presume is why they are calling this one a one in 500 hundred year one. I hope we don't get another one too soon there is severe damage over the whole regions with farms under water and the main highway will be closed further north for some time yet.

      Delete