Monday, July 6, 2020

STORM AND MONDAY WALK

Last night there was quite a storm - we could hear the wind and rain and I wondered what state the garden would be in this morning.  Everything was fine except the cactus in front of the house.  It had been knocked flat.  I noticed it as I went to get the paper from the letterbox this morning.




The storm had gone over thank goodness and Doug had an appointment so he dropped me off for the Parkinson Walk.  It is the first time I have been for a few weeks.  We were walking the final part of the Shared Walkway which goes from the city centre out to Kamo where I used to live in fact the path went to within a few hundred metres of my old house.  It is great as it passes most of the local schools.


This last part was not particularly pretty but it was good to get out and, although it was cloudy, we only needed our umbrellas for a short time.  We started our walk at 9.30 a.m. but it looks more like p.m. in this photo - it was just before the shower.




When we got home while I baked a cake and got lunch ready, Doug cut up the cactus and piled it up ready to be disposed of.



He also rebuilt the little garden bed the cactus was growing in.




The plants have been cut back for winter but won't take long to come away again.

13 comments:

  1. Just a shame that it cannot be used for firewood. Maybe build a log cabin in the meantime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A spectacular wind casualty.
    Good to see the path on its way. Such a good idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you said Vic cycled part of it. I was surprised at how far it goes now.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. No, but they grow really well. It is not long since this one was cut back and it had grown fast. Not sad to see it go.

      Delete
  4. That is a big cactus to get blown over. I'm glad you had no other damage. We had heavy rain overnight but I never heard much wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has grown so fast. There is also a trailer load from Doug cutting back the flower garden- I will cut it into the wheelie bin bit by bit over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  5. That's a lot of cactus to dispose of. What a shame.
    Cambridge is awash with footpaths and cycleways and I believe even more have been created since Covid19 arrived, to allow people to cycle to work rather than use public transport. There's 10 miles of shared cycleway leading from near my home into the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was a huge cactus and I assumed you would be sad to see it go. Then I read that you were glad to see it fall and break. I am glad that the wind did some good. The planter looks very nice.

      Delete
    2. Cambridge is ideal for bikes isn't it. Whangarei is very hilly but by following the railway ot is a gradual climb also great that it leads to most schools.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I am not really a cactus fan although it was the best of the three we have.

      Delete