Wednesday, July 1, 2020

ANOTHER "AT HOME" DAY

Once again, the promised showers did not eventuate this morning so I was able to get washing out on the line.  I know that a lot of people nowadays put their washing straight into a dryer but I prefer to line dry it as much as possible.  

I then put a small piece of boned lamb shoulder on to slow roast with a heap of vegetables.  We have so little meat with our meals but the lamb does give flavour to the gravy and the vegetables.  Once it was in the oven we went on two separate walks.  Doug did the short, slow walk with Sophie while I had our usual fast walk, we met up on the way home - the walks were only about 15 minutes.

I had just made a cup of tea and was about to cook some Pikelets when a car turned into our drive and it was Doug's nephew and his wife from the Far North.  As Max and I lived up there for 40 odd years I knew him before I met Doug.

They were taking her car into the garage down here but stayed for about 3/4 hour and we had a good catch up and put the world to rights.

As they were leaving it looked like rain so I got the almost dry washing in and will air it in the dryer.

The meat and vegetables were now cooked so I removed the meat and put the vegetables back in the oven on a high heat to brown while I cooked some cabbage and made gravy.  We enjoyed a meal of 9/10th vegetables with perhaps 1/10th meat - actually just the vegetables would have been fine but, as I say, the meat gives it a nice flavour and protein (sorry vegetarians).

Since then I have been catching up on computer work (paying bills, emails etc.)  It is now almost 3 p.m. and time to have a go at the crossword.


10 comments:

  1. We've had a lovely sunny day here today, but a very cold icy wind meant that it wasn't so nice to be outside.
    Isn't it great to meet up with folk and put the world right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a cold wind and it is even colder tonight. Yes, it was good to catch up. We knew they were coming at some stage but not when.

      Delete
  2. The crossword, it all depends where it came from but I would do it as soon as the Listener arrived. And, happy days, it seems that we will get our subs honoured as the new owners start publishing again. I had some laundry almost dry, some went in the dryer, and some by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just do the crossword, sudoku and code cracker in our local paper. That's good about the Listener. I was the same with the washing. Hope you are doing o.k.

      Delete
  3. I was surprised to read that you have pikelets in NZ - may be the recipe for them originated via British settlers.
    We eat very little meat ourselves these days, but now and again, just like you, a little added to the pot gives the meal a far richer flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of pikelets until I came to New Zealand - I wonder if they are the same as the ones you refer to. These are like a small, thicker pancake, the raising agent is baking powder. Nice and quick to make.

      Yes, when I cook mince which is a favourite I add some red lentils and LOTS of vegetables.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you too about the vegetables and just the extra flavour from a little piece of meat. It's too hot now for much meat, say I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool here today. Nice sunny day but a cold wind from the south where the snow is.

      Delete
  5. Your reduction in meat consumption is admirable.

    ReplyDelete