Sunday, July 5, 2020

SHOPPING FOR A NEW WASHING MACHINE

Our new machine has to be a top loader to fit in.  It would be too awkward to get washing in and out of a front loader.  We spent most of yesterday doing research and today we drove to Harvey Norman to have a look at a Panasonic that they had on the floor.  We got there and it had either been sold or wasn't there when I  checked yesterday.

A machine I quite liked when I had it previously (before my Bosch front loader) was Fisher and Paykel and two fellow bloggers suggested that brand.  The salesman at HN's just said buy F & P  we could not get anything else out of him - nothing about the different machines.  We didn't like panel board on the machines nor his attitude so we walked out.  Every time I go to Harvey Norman I say "never again" but they usually have a good selection.  It is not a good time at the moment as stocks are low everywhere with the Corona Lockdown.

We then went to Noel Leeming.  They had a good selection including 2 Fisher and Paykel models - a very knowledgeable young lady came and helped us - we looked at several brands and then Doug asked her what she would buy and she said a Fisher and Paykel as that is what she has and she wouldn't change it.  So in the end we bought a 7kg Fisher and Paykel model.  We did prefer the panel board on that to the ones that Harvey Norman had.  We did not want one that was too complicated.

We now have to wait for it to arrive - apparently F & P have just had a cyber attack so deliveries are delayed.  I hope we have made the right choice.

Apart from that not much has happened today.  These jobs always seem to take far longer than one expects.

14 comments:

  1. We have a very narrow, top loading, LADEN (which I doubt are sold in NZ). They have always had the reputation of being tough, simple, and long-lasting. Very few different programmes, very few products required, and does the job in about 30 mins. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good decision, and there are always part if needed, not that I hope you do. I have a larger model, as we had that when there were 4 or more living together. And I agree, if you do not get good service, walk out. There income depends on commission after a basic salary I have been told, you would think any saleman would go out of his way to be more helpful. Hope it arrives soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bigger one would not fit. Service at N.L. so much better.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the washing machine. It's one of life's necessities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It would be good if you cod try them out first.

      Delete
  4. It's good that you got what you wanted in the end, it's a shame that machinery doesn't seem to last these days as long as they use to when I was growing up. We still have an old chest freezer that my grandparents bought in the 1960s that is going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, things are not built to last these days.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you have found something suitable, I hope it works out well for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just had a little browse around Wikipedia looking at Fisher and Pakel and related companies..very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The machine I installed in my rental is an f and p, and my tenant's very happy. His dryer broke down in March and I found f and p no longer make for export, so I can't get the matching dryer. Very disappointed, since I can't get anything else either. The mrfs not even accepting orders! Mainly because the other one that would fit is made in China And that's stopped completely for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seems to be difficult to get a new machine to fit the gap where an old one was but with Covid it makes things that much harder.

      Delete