Wednesday, July 15, 2020

OUR DAY

We have a weather warning for today through to Friday for heavy rain and easterly gales.  This morning I had an appointment for a diabetic eye check.  I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2000 and my eye check was fine but then my blood sugars are good as well.  The lady who took the eye check photos suggested I ask my doctor whether I should, in fact, go down to being pre Diabetic as everything is so good.  I will be seeing her in about a month so will ask.

Ten days ago, when our washing machine leaked we ordered a new one.  It was not available ex stock and I did not try using the old machine for a few days and then did just a short low level wash and there was no leak.  Yesterday I did two heavy loads and still no leaks and the odd problems we had previously did not happen.  We have been wondering what to do so, this morning, I phoned Noel Leeming and they suggested getting a refund and we can re-order when needed, so after my appointment we did just that. 

Luckily the rain had not started.  It has started now although not in heavy quantities yet.  It has turned cold again and this is what a cat does when it is cold.


When we got home I had planned to make small meatloaves in loaf shaped muffin tins but Doug (having a sweet tooth) decided to call at a grocers on the way home and get a cake.





Of course, he would not just buy a small cake.  One slice went while I got lunch ready and another after lunch.  I had planned to make a cake but think I had better wait until he finishes this first.

The little meatloaves were over half vegetables and were served with a mash of kumara and potato and creamed leeks.  They were delicious and I will definitely be making more.  They would be good cold on a picnic.


10 comments:

  1. I used to have horrid eye tests in England, where they put drops into my eyes. But here no-one has ever suggested I have the same tests.

    When our last washing machine leaked, we found (too late) that it was just a rubber pipe at the back. The new machine cost €300; a new rubber pipe would have cost €5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a new camera for the eye test and I didn't need the drops.

      Delete
  2. That sponge cake takes me back to elderly aunts and home made sponges which were so light and full of cream. I like the sound of the meatloves too. I add grated zucchini and carrot to mine.
    Wahing machines are an essential. I know all about them having a husband who fixes them and with a backyard full of old ones. If you need a spare part just give me a shout lol! Hope it continues to work well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is only half the sponge left now. The meatloaves had onion, garlic, sweetcorn, celery, grated carrot and peas. I will think of you for the spare part lol

      Delete
  3. Wish that our local grocer sold a cake like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sell excellent cakes and pies. Wish I could eat them.

      Delete
  4. Our washer and dryer, both well over twenty years old are acting up so it is probably time to invest in new appliances,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about ours. It hasn't missed a beat since we arranged to buy the new one. Because of Covid delivery would not have been for at least another 4 weeks. We like the model we have (no longer available) so fingers crossed it keeps going.

      Delete
  5. Hopefully your machine behaves itself now. It is such a pain when whiteware doesn't work properly.
    I didn't know it was possible to downgrade diabetes. We were always told "there is no cure, once you have it you always have it" (my husband was diabetic).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in 2000, when I was diagnosed only one test was done. Now two tests are needed. The nurse yesterday said it seems as though I should have been diagnosed pre-diabetic. Our whole family is/was type 2 and my father lost both his legs to it, consequently, I have been really careful. Although it can't be cured it can be reversed with diet/exercise

      Delete