Thursday, July 9, 2020

TODAY (which I think is Thursday)

The Desert Road in the Lower North Island is closed because of snow today and trucks are snowed in and, I assume, it is also bad in the South Island.  Meanwhile, although we have a cold wind (off the snow) it has been quite a good day.  The occasional shower but sunny and quite warm if you were in a sheltered place.

We actually let two Monarch Butterflies out of the cage this morning and they were happy in the sun.  The piece of shade cloth pegged to the mandarin tree makes it easier for them to hold on.



This afternoon I went for a walk which takes me past Hospice and noticed a friend driving in so I went and had a word.  She recently lost her husband and told me she was going to a counselling session (the first) and was planning on calling to see us afterwards so I invited her for a cuppa and brownie (that I had made for the friends who did not come with the tank yesterday).

As I got home she drove up - it turned out she was a week early for the counselling session so nearly got home before me.  We had our tea and a good catch up and she was just about to go when we saw a pick-up arrive with a water tank on the back.  Friend left and I washed the cups etc  and put the kettle on.  After unloading the tank our friends came in for a cuppa and luckily there was still some rocky road chocolate brownie left.  They stayed for some time as we had not seen them since before Lockdown.  Great to have visitors but, once again, I have not crossed anything off my "to do" list.  There is always tomorrow although I am going to town for a hearing test.

15 comments:

  1. Robust-looking Monarchs. I can imagine your friend was glad to have been able to come over for a cuppa and a brownie. May her counseling session next week prove helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like a busy lady :)
    Yes, visitors are great even if nothing else gets done - just as well there is always tomorrow LOL. I hope your hearing test goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not used to visitors since Lockdown but it is great to catch up.

      Delete
  3. The Monarchs are lovely and must be fairly robust too, I was surprised that they had just hatched even though you have snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow is further south. Mostly sunny day here. If it had been nasty weather we would have kept them in their cage for a day or two. We don't get snow here.

      Delete
  4. Monarchs were in our backyard yesterday and a couple were on the Milkweed, so will have to check for eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled milkweed so presume yours is Asclepias. The one pictured was a pretty pink. We have what are known as Swan Plants because the seedhead looks like a swan. I just looked that up and it is Gomphocarpus physocarpus. No wonder it is just called swan plant. Anyway, the good thing was that there was an advert for seeds for a coloured variety so we will look out for them. Do you keep the eggs safe as well?

      Delete
    2. or perhaps it was the orange one in your last post.

      Delete
  5. Seeing friends is a day well spent. It will probably be a year before I get that opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially after so long without seeing friends. I do hope things start to improve for you over there.

      Delete
  6. I never know what day it is these days either. The butterflies are superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although we are starting to go out and have some appointments we still don't have enough to remind me of the day. Yes, the butterflies are lovely and very late in the season.

      Delete
  7. A friend in need is a friend indeed. I'm happy that you were there for a chat for yours, it probably helped her talking to someone she knows.

    ReplyDelete