Wednesday, April 8, 2020

DAY 14 LOCKDOWN

Yesterday I was talking to a friend (on the phone) and she mentioned that her daughter had managed to get her a supermarket delivery slot by going on line at 4 a.m. so when I woke just before 5 a.m. this morning I got up, logged on and checked for a slot.  I managed to get one for next Tuesday, the 14th.  If I had left it until the usual time that I get up (7.00 a.m.) I would have missed out and had to try again tomorrow.  It still seems odd placing the order so far in advance but we are lucky to be able to get the delivery slot.

The time has flown by and it is amazing that we have now been in lockdown for a fortnight.  There were more people around when we had our morning walk just before 8 a.m but everyone kept their distance - we may have passed  8 or 10 people instead of the usual 1 or 2.  Doug then put ten Monarch Butterfly caterpillars in to his cage.

I casseroled the blade steak that we got in our recent butcher's order and we had some for our lunch.
We had just finished lunch when the courier arrived with our vegetable seedling order.

We received

Beetroot,
Broccoli
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Silver Beet (Swiss Chard)
Perpetual Spinach
Sugar snap peas
Lettuce



I had hoped for Broccoflower but all in all it is a pretty good mixture.

A shower started just as we opened the box but has since stopped. Still we decided to leave the planting until tomorrow in the hope of some rain overnight.

14 comments:

  1. Count yourself lucky; supermarket delivery slots have to be booked around three weeks ahead - if you're lucky! However you can change the order up to the day before delivery so as long as you order a few things you can always add the other things you find you need later.
    They look some good healthy seedlings from your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always buy my seedlings from the same company that wraps them I newspaper. As you say they look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have tried for 3 days to get a New World slot, missed one late today by a whisker. And that is for 7 days ahead. Great to know we can get a huge lot of seedlings online, they are a real necessity now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like Awapuni seedlings. They were about as hard to get as a supermarket slot. Good luck with that.

      Delete
  4. That is a good selection to start with, and they look so fresh and healthy as well. Your garden is going to be so productive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they were sent on Monday and, presumably, packed on Sunday but look good. Tomorrow the work begins to plant them- 8 bundles of 9 seedlings.

      Delete
  5. I am sure that receiving the seedlings was a real bright spot for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The highlight of my day/week. What has this world come to?

      Delete
  6. That's a wonderful selection of seedlings. At least you won't need to buy fresh vegetables

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have to see how many we can fit in although Doug plants close together. Any extra will be given to neighbours.

      Delete
  7. They look like nice healthy plants. I must get sowing; only a few weeks now before we need to start planting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in the ground now. The plants I have grown from seed are doing well but not as advanced.

      Delete