Monday, April 13, 2020

DAY 19 LOCKDOWN - Phone calls

First thing this morning I heard my phone "beep" and checked to find an email from a cousin on the Welsh Border.  He is new to technology and the email had been forwarded by his son as he had sent it to him by mistake.  As his email address was on my desktop I decided to phone him rather than email and we had a lovely long chat and put the world to rights.

My friend "E" and I flatted in 1966 not long after I arrived in New Zealand.  She now lives on the Gold Coast and visited us about this time last year.   It is her birthday today so, after our walk and breakfast I phoned her and had another lovely long catch up. 

Yesterday I phoned my step-daughter in New South Wales and left a message but when she phoned back Doug answered the phone so they had a long chat and I phoned her today to catch up on more news. Doug phoned his sister in Perth.

I then phoned a cousin near Toronto and Doug is now talking to a lady from the walking group.

We always try and keep up with friends and family but don't usually have so many calls in one day. 

We didn't get much else done apart from the two walks - one for us and a slower one for Sophie. 

I finally managed to get a delivery slot at New World the supermarket where we usually shop.  It is for next Monday and has the advantage that I can add items up to 24 hours prior to that. 

So Doug and I are quite happy here in our bubble.

18 comments:

  1. Makes you wonder how we'd have fared if we didn't have all the technology. Stay safe in your bubble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, John, I have spent far more time online than usual - a lot of it getting supplies.

      Delete
  2. The utter joy when you get a time slot, I have one for Thursday, a Click and collect and a friend will go there at 5 p.m. I like their website, and that you can add or alter up to 24 hours prior. Wet and cold here all day, and have the fire giving us cosy heat tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a shower last night but it has been a lovely day today. A bit of wind. No fires here yet. Keep safe.

      Delete
  3. We hardly even use our phone anymore. We should really think of cancelling it. Between text, facetime, emails and Facebook (my wife) that seems to take care of commuication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We mainly use the cellphone for outward calls but keep the landline for incoming calls although I think that will soon be outdated.

      Delete
  4. I have been doing more calling and keeping up with those in my life much more during this time. We realize how important these connections are and what comfort it gives us to hear the voices of our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always do like to keep in touch with family and friends but it is even more important now.

      Delete
  5. It is in times like these that I'm really grateful for technology and how it allows us all to stay in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when my parents were still alive I would book a 3 minute call to them in England - it was so expensive.

      Delete
  6. Can imagine how glad you are to get that grocery slot and add to it as well. Lovely to be able to catch up with everyone. Makes you feel less isolated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had the delivery of the previous order with Countdown. All very efficient - left on doorstep for us.

      Delete
  7. Pirate used his phone a lot, to family and friends around the world.
    I am one for messaging, texting, and writing whether letters or emails..and blog comments of course!I feel awkward talking if not there in person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I message, text and use the phone - another call to the Welsh border this morning.

      Delete
  8. We have had very little luck with getting a grocery slot, but we are blessed to have a young couple living next door that have done all our shopping needs. We just feel badly relying on someone to do things for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get really excited when I manage to get a slot. Our first shop was done by Doug's youngest daughter but I felt bad as she already works about 11 hours a day (or more) and she would have to queue. Good that the young couple next to you are so caring.

      Delete
  9. I have a daily chat with Kimbo. Being in central London (Kensington) he doesn't go out too much. Recently he spent a long time walking behind Michael Gove (UK Government Minister) who was permanently on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to read that you and he are content in your bubble. The grocery delivery service sounds pretty darn good. I wish we had such a service here.

    It's sounds as if you two had a great day of phone chats. It is so good to feel connected in our days of social isolation.

    ReplyDelete