Thursday, April 30, 2020

DAY 36 LOCKDOWN

Our day started with the usual approximately 1.75 kms walk around the streets followed by our breakfast of porridge and toast.  Sophie (the Labrador) gets some home made food along with biscuits and dog sausage and this had run out so I put that on to start cooking - a dried soup mix of lentils, peas and pearl barley with brown rice, some chopped dates, turmeric, coconut oil and desiccated coconut is cooked then a couple of kumara (sweet potato), a couple of carrots and a beetroot grated are added plus oats.  This is cooked in a large saucepan and then, when cold, put into 3 storage containers 2 of which are frozen.  I start it off and Doug does the grating.  



After that Doug went outside to continue clearing the front flower garden ready for its winter planting and I did some baking.  I baked Doug some more Anzac biscuits they didn't spread as much as the last batch but I was assured they tasted just as good.


  I also baked some Ginger Oaty Biscuits from a recipe that Rosemary from Where Five Valleys Meet posted recently.  I substituted gluten free flour.  They spread more than I expected and the first batch was just one giant biscuit with the next 2 batches not far behind.  I broke them into pieces and I must say they are delicious.



By this time it was after midday so I got on with lunch and then got the washing in.  (Still no sign of rain).

It is now time to do my skipping (100 skips) and then I think I will put my feet up for a read.  Our grocery order is due between 6 and 8 p.m. 



10 comments:

  1. On mY 2nd at 9 a,.m. There will be a program aimed at the older ones, exercise, mental well being etc!!! Bernice Mene will be alongside, so I'm sure it will be well worthwhile. I was set to do some biscuits tomorrow, but the order " Out of Stock" list on the grocery Click& Collect today had only 2 items, both a variety of chocolate chips. So tomorrow, I might get very brave and don gloves and mask and tootle off to Countdown and see if they have them. The time slots are more available now, maybe everyone has stocked up so much. No rain here either, the garden is so dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the shop. We must watch that programme. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I like "slow food" home cooked. Can't understand the sudden rush to KFC and McD's.

      Delete
  3. Reading your post, I feel like such a slacker. I did make some Double Tree chocolate chip cookies yesterday, though. Sad to say, I ate quite a few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We managed to get some dessicated coconut in the village shop & post office where we go to post parcels. Our village has no post office.
    Like the shop in our village they have been ordering goods for baking for over two weeks and nothing has arrived

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, just after our order arrived I realised the last packet of desiccated coconut was smaller and only enough left for one more batch of cookies OR Sophie's dinner.

      Delete
  5. Had to laugh at your Ginger Oaty biscuits - my Hokey Pokey biscuits are inclined to spread like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had not expected them to spread this much. Still taste good and that is what matters.

      Delete