Friday, May 1, 2020

DAY 37 LOCKDOWN - A DAY OF RECEIVING

It is May already - where did the time go.

We received our supermarket order just before 6 p.m. last night.  The only item not supplied was one of the Baking Powders.  I had ordered two different brands - one for a neighbour.  One had been replaced with a brand I had not heard of before.  It was in a sealed plastic bag so I opened it this morning and put half into a jar for me and then took the other half across the road to her. 

Earlier a friend, from the walking group, had messaged me to see if we would like some persimmons and, as I have been trying to find some locally I said I would love them.  She later phoned to say there was a mix up with her supermarket order and could we use some potatoes as she had ended up with far too many.  She was to leave them at the letterbox so I took a small gift down for her.

Doug had started to mow the lawn and I was across the road with the baking powder when she came.  Later on there was a tap at the door and it was our neighbour with a couple of scones for Doug that she had just baked with the new baking powder  and a couple of kumara as she had just dug some and speared them with the fork.

We had a couple of large tomatoes left from our previous supermarket order so I got some more out of the freezer and some capsicum and made a sauce.  I then mixed the leftover mash from yesterday with a little leftover vegetables (beans and sweetcorn) and an egg and fried that up into potatoe cakes and then put some gurnard in the tomato sauce to cook quickly for lunch.  It was delicious.  I love cooking (and eating the food I cook) but I also like easy where I can so usually cook enough root vegetables to do 2 days making the second day much easier.  I had thought I would have time on my hands with Lockdown but it is far from the case.

Now I had better go and do my skipping and get some target practice.  Doug likes to shoot with an air rifle and in the past couple of days I have had a go.  Today I changed guns half way.  The first one I hardly pressed the trigger and it fired whereas the second one was quite hard.  The outer shots were with the second gun.  Doug snapped me shooting and insisted I include the photo.  




Doug got the bulls eyes below.


16 comments:

  1. One of the first thing the boys (Harv' and Ollie) want to do here is target shooting. You could teach them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you do any target shooting when the boys aren't there? I presume you do it with the boys. It is great fun.

      Delete
    2. Not by myself; no. Maybe I should.

      Delete
  2. And with what we call a " bench rest" you did so well, was this the first time? Did I ever mention that I and Hugh were both pistol shooters, I shot .22, an air pistol, and then Handgun Metallic Silhouette. I went on to sit an exam and qualify as a Range Officer in HMS, We participated in National competitions, and, not naturally, but never the less, I had my decisions queried when I was the range officer for a New Zealand national match. I was correct, but the man shooting was not happy. !!! So, keep up that practice, you never know where you might end up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second comment, there are a lot of good sites where you can download the targets and print them off. Or do one, and get a printing place to do more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you go shopping today? Doug says he had lots of targets printed when he was in the Airforce. Max and I used to have the odd target practice but only every few years and Doug and I have a few times and a couple of times this week all with about the same results. I should keep it up. I didn't know you were a Range Officer - do you still shoot? Doug says he wants to buy me my own air rifle. He says his are too big.

      Delete
  4. The word 'kumara' immediately pops out at me. We have sweet potato here but it's just not the same. They so wonderful when roasted or anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was worried when I saw that first photo; we've heard a lot about the rise in domestic violence since the lock down! I haven't shot an air rifle since I was at school over 50 years ago and I wasn't much good at it even then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug often "plays" either with the air rifle or his bow and arrows.

      Delete
  6. Sharing what we have is one of the great things that are going on now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am usually busy doing other things but am trying to make time now.

      Delete
  7. Well done, you two sharpshooters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say guns scare me, I don't like them at all but if used properly that's good. We haven't had many shortages up here with food, the odd thing not in stock but overall pretty good at the supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say I don not particularly like guns but a bit of target practice with an air rifle is quite fun. Yes, not much missing or swapped in the last order.

      Delete