Thursday, May 21, 2020

CAULIFLOWER MASH

There was still some cauliflower left over from our supermarket order ten days ago so I made cauliflower mash to have with the lamb and vegetable casserole (actually it was more vegetable and lamb).  

I first made this at the end of last winter and we really enjoyed it.

What I did today was steam the cauliflower with a little water at the bottom of a pot until it was soft.  After draining it  I  put some in butter and used a stick mixer to blend adding some grated cheese, salt, pepper and a grating of nutmeg.  It was delicious and much lighter than mashed potato.  We have quite a few cauliflower plants growing so I hope they do really well as this is a definite "YES".  The other vegetable we had was sliced cabbage with grated carrot cooked in the water from the cauliflower and this was then drunk with our meal.  No waste.

6 comments:

  1. I made that a few years ago and loved it. We have a cauli languishing in the fridge right now. It's been for about a week and needs special attention.
    Nice idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I was quite sceptical about it but we really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Cauliflower seems to be in season at the moment. That sounds like a great idea to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed it and it used up the end of a cauli we had in the fridge.

      Delete
  3. I love mashed cauliflower and we have it a few times a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was new to us at the end of last winter but I am sure we will have it quite often now.

      Delete