Friday, May 15, 2020

FRIDAY 15th (Just to prove I know the date and day).

It is starting to get wintry so yesterday I made a batch of bacon hock, split pea, lentil and vegetable soup and very nice it was as well.  It is quite orange as I received the Orange kumara in my last supermarket order instead of the usual ones.  I also made some tomato and capsicum sauce from our tomatoes from the freezer and we had some with sausages and mash. .




This morning I had planned to bake some biscuits but didn't get around to it.  Apart from other small jobs that needed doing we received another load of firewood as, with being home all the time, it looks as though what we bought earlier in the season won't be enough.  So, between us, we moved and stacked.  With two wheelbarrows I load them and Doug empties and stacks in the woodshed.  I then took some soup down the road to a neighbour before preparing our lunch of mixed rice, tomato/capsicum sauce, lettuce salad and my version of Waldorf Salad with some gurnard.  It tasted much better than it looks.  I had already eaten some when I decided to take the photo.


Apart from some baking I also want to spend some more time in the garden.  I thought there was going to be lots of time with the lockdown but there is never enough.

12 comments:

  1. We have just abandoned soups. It's salads all the way until Autumn now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to soups and casseroles and a roaring fire (well perhaps not roaring or we will cook).

      Delete
  2. Where have the weeks gone? We did real shopping today, I braved " The Warehouse " it was all very orderly, until we got to the checkout, after going down one aisle according to the markers on the floor, then waited till it would be our turn, THEN, a lady, younger than me, maybe 50's or so, very blonde, and a lot of makeup, squeezed through a gap, sideways, where you were not meant to go through...pushed past me so close, and then was next in line at the far checkout. I turned to the younger taller man ( Most people are taller than me ) behind me and said " Did you see that??? " , yes, not good, he replied. Why don't you go and tell her that was not the way to join in the queue. Oh No, then we finally had our turn and the blond***** was finished and on her way out walking in front of where we stood..." ME... " Excuse me, you pushed in and didn't wait in the queue like we are supposed to " Oh ,she said, there was a gap down there..I said, " That wasn't where you were meant to go, you should have had respect and waited at the end", Off she went, the checkout lady just smiled, and the couple behind me, smiled in agreement . I will phone and apologise to the lady at the till, but I felt so strongly that we were all behaving as we should, and to top it all off, she looked so like the lady on the TV ad who had a bad haircut!!!! Guess Hugh wanted to walk out and leave me there. Love your soup, I will try to be more self contained the next time we venture out there. p.s. would you like some Hollyhock seeds, Zinnia seeds, and other varieties? I have saved lots this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the seeds sound great. We haven't had a lot of luck with Hollyhocks but always willing to try again as I do like them. We usually grow Zinnias but didn't save any seed this year. Not good about the queue.

      Delete
  3. We are at the end of our soup season and moving into salads and antipastos - if ever the weather begins to resemble summer, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I correspond with my cousins in Toronto and Bracebridge and you do seem to be having a bad run of it. Hope you get some warmer weather soon.

      Delete
  4. Your salad sounds great and so does the soup. We are having greens and fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy a good bowl of soup at all times of the year, and will be making some tomorrow from some chicken stock that I have made - a meal in a bowl, simple, tasty, and nourishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we sometimes have lighter soups in summer.

      Delete
  6. I'm starting to lose my taste for soup; we've been making loads of it since lock-down began. Yours sounds lovely and looks almost like pumpkin soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was the orange kumara (sweet potato) that gave it the colour. Just coming into winter soup time.

      Delete