Saturday, May 23, 2020

IT'S NOT JUST COVID

There is something odd going on with the weather.  We had a cloudy but lovely autumn day here today - no wind so we managed to get several jobs done in the garden.  I planted some pansies and did some pruning and Doug cleaned the gutter on his workshop and pruned the peach tree back from the workshop.  It is weird but it definitely looks as though it has new buds forming and it is autumn here.  Last night I received an email from my stepdaughter in New South Wales and she said she thought she was going mad as she was sure she could hear baby birds. Well, she was not going mad as she has now located the nest with young birds in it.  Baby birds are supposed to arrive in spring not autumn.  She also mentioned that a lot of the trees on their property are not behaving as normal for this time of year.

We have also put ten caterpillars into the cage today.  At this time of year the number should be decreasing not increasing.  The outside activity was because from tomorrow we are forecast to get rain showers for the next five days.  Whether we will actually get it is another question but we still need it to help fill the dams.

I mentioned recently that I had started target shooting with an air rifle.  Because it was too heavy for me to reload and because I am quite a good shot Doug decided to buy me a Ruger that was supposed to be lighter and easier to break.  Unfortunately, it needed a scope to be able to sight it in and I did not particularly want to use a scope.  Anyway, Doug took it back and ordered another air rifle that he was told would be better for me - he came home with two different ones but neither was any good so, this morning, I suggested that perhaps we should swap them back for the Ruger and I will use a scope so he put a scope on one of his rifles for me to try.  I don't know whether Doug was pleased or not as I fired three shots and we could only see one hole.  Yes, I had put three shots into the same hole.

Anyway, tomorrow we go back and get the Ruger with a scope.  Doug has always enjoyed target shooting so the least I can do is join him. 

Apart from all this I have also made a large pot of pea, lentil and vegetable soup so it should keep us going for a few days and on this morning's walk we saw two native pigeons slightly closer to home than the one we saw yesterday.  Yea.....

13 comments:

  1. Here there is an indoor target shooting club, you are the cracker shot in the family now.Yes, crazy weather, grape hyacinths have long stems, hollyhock still flowering, and a few monarchs fluttering by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that - Doug is a very good shot. Yes, everything is going mad. Drizzle here today.

      Delete
  2. Our weather has been increasingly random in the last couple of decades - global warming?? That soup sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was delicious. I suppose it could just be the natural cycle of things that is affecting our weather - I am thinking of things like the Ice age.

      Delete
  3. Yes, climate change. We now have unseasonable stormy weather and I am busy out in the wet and windy, staking broad beans and tying windbreak around them. The queue of plants needing to leave the polytunnel increases but the weather doesn't permit it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been reading a lot about U.K. weather.

      Delete
  4. The weather is weird here as well. In my life (hand over heart) I do not ever remember it raining here in May. Ours is a semi-arid climate. Rain now is just not on & yet is has rained a few times since last week.

    Target practice sounds like it could be fun. May you and Doug enjoy the pursuit together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Target practice is something Doug (and the grandchildren when they visit) have done and Max and I did with our grandchildren when they visited. I have just joined him during Lockdown. We have misty drizzle today

      Delete
  5. It certainly has been a mild Autumn here so far, we have a rainy weekend planned - hibernation time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did as much outside as I could yesterday and have lots of indoor jobs planned this week.

      Delete
  6. My polyanthus are flowering and I see the primulas have started as well. All the spring bulbs are up and growing well. Perhaps winter will not happen this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't fired Wills's new rifle. I fitted the sights, and left it. It's a Gamo replay 10, made in Portugal.

    ReplyDelete