Friday, May 22, 2020

Kereru

This morning on our walk I was thrilled to see a Kereru or native pigeon just a street away from us.  I had several visit when I lived in Kamo and there were a couple when I first arrived here but have not seen them for a while.  He/she was at the top of a tree so the photo is not the best.


Below is a better photo - this was taken from my lounge when I lived in Kamo.  



Later we had to go back into town for a couple of items and Doug dropped me off so I could cut through the park while he did his shopping.  People are definitely out and about and the car park was full.



We then met up at the Bistro de Paris for lunch as we wanted to support them knowing that they have had two lots of rent to pay with no income over the Lockdown period and we like their food.  Doug had a delicious Big Breakfast which consisted of bacon, sausages, mushrooms, tomato, poached eggs, hash brown and toast while I had their Buckwheat Galette with mushrooms, potato and blue cheese with a salad and a delicious cup of tea.  There were people coming and going although it was quieter than usual as it appears a lot of people who have been working from home are continuing to do so.

16 comments:

  1. We are supporting our locals too, what a great menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a couple who came over from France a couple of years ago. She is a kiwi (her mother is a fellow blogger). Hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  2. I would have joined Doug, and ordered the Big Breakfast too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear you are out and about. We have a long way to go yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky here. One new case today after four days with none and it was from a cluster. Ghost is the whole country.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful way to get back into real life again. Those dishes are mighty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was good to be able to do some normal things but still feels a little surreal.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to see a kereru. They are beautiful birds, aren't they? I love the whump-whump they make when they fly :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the sound they make is lovely. I am hoping that if they are in the next street we may see them here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fine-looking pigeon. Cafes not likely to open for a while here - if I have a big breakfast I'll have to cook it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was for lunch and I had planned to cook but as we had to go to town we enjoyed a meal out.

      Delete
  8. As you know, I am sure, that is the only pigeon endemic to New Zealand, and I am very envious that you got to see it! What a wonderful way to begin your forays back into the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen one when we moved down here from the very Far North so you can imagine how excited we were to see one quite low down in a magnolia bush. Several used to visit us there.

      Delete
  9. It's always a bigger bird than we expect!
    Good to support local..well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is large and makes such a loud noise when flying. Supporting local is so important at the moment.

      Delete