Saturday, May 9, 2020

DAY 45 LOCKDOWN

I could not understand how I had run out of A4 paper yesterday then, when I thought about it, I remembered that having stored it on its side in the filing cabinet it had started to curl and I had  put it somewhere where it could like flat.  Anyway, this morning I set about looking for it and, sure enough, I found it - about a quarter of packet so it will last me for a while - glad I hadn't ordered some more.  

While I was looking I came across a letter I had written on 23 December, 1951 - just before my 8th birthday.

"Dear Santa Claus
Will you please bring me a pencil box and a paint box and a big box of crayons and a packet of big eyed needles and a sewing box.

Love from 

Susan Banks"

I am impressed with my spelling back then.  Funnily enough the only wrong spelling was the village where I grew up.  I can remember writing it and thought it had been put on the fire to send up to santa.  I wonder whether I received everything.  I still prefer "big eyed needles"

17 comments:

  1. i am sure even big eyed needles would help me even with a magnifier. What
    a treasure to find your letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big-eyed needles became your mantra. Did you ever get any?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am quite sure I got the big eyed needles but not sure about the rest.

      Delete
  3. A needle threader on my machine and for any other needle, definitely a necessity now.What a treasure to find your letter. I did actually run out of A4 paper, but the local supermarket had one packet, a ream.So ample to go on with.45 days, I wonder what this week will tell us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in the paper today we were told that under level 2 we should be able to order books on line at the library and then collect them. I have actually not run out of books but it will be good to get more. Yes, needle threaders are great.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure I don't have anything like that lying around anywhere here though I remember writing a letter like that as an exercise while in primary school. One of my friends asked for just a pencil sharpener - the first inkling I had that some people had even less money than we did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I had any idea about poverty as a child.

      Delete
  5. That's a lively letter to find. I have kept some of our children's. Nice memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have kept letters from nieces and grandchildren as well. Mainly "thank you" letters.

      Delete
  6. Finding your sheets of paper doesn't even come close to Miriam looking for that piece of fabric she knows she has somewhere in her vast stash that would rival the inventory of the average fabric store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I presume she is a quilter. All quilters seem to have vast stashes of fabric. It is so annoying when one cannot find something.

      Delete
  7. Finding your own letter is good. Setting off many memories.
    Perhaps a post-it note in something's usual place when it gets moved for a specific purpose? I have been thinking of doing that!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you found your paper. I'm always putting things in 'safe' places and then forgetting them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to do and gets easier the older we get.

      Delete