Monday, May 11, 2020

DAY 47 LOCKDOWN - MOVE TO LEVEL 2

This afternoon I listened to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's announcement - well, actually, I listened to most of it but fell asleep as I am even more tired today as we had an even later night last night due to some unforeseen circumstances.  Jacinda announced that  this Thursday, May 14, New Zealand will begin moving into alert level two, with retail, malls, cafes, restaurants, cinemas, playgrounds and gyms able to reopen as long as they follow the physical-distancing and hygiene requirements. Moving around the country will be permitted, and health services will restart. Bubbles can be broken, but catch-ups with friends or family should be limited to 10.  Doug's granddaughter was hoping to re-schedule her wedding for the end of the month but I know she was hoping to invite more than 10 people so we just have to "wait and see" on that one.
Next Monday, May 18, all children will be able to return to school or early learning and next Thursday, May 21, bars can open.  She said "We have left bars till last because they do pose the most risk".
I presume that we will now be able to go to the library but, most likely, to pick up books ordered on line and to return books.
At the weekend I ordered some masks and have just heard that they have been sent.  It will be good to have them should we decide to venture out.


12 comments:

  1. To be totally honest, I am unsure how far I will venture in the new level 2, and as there was a new case in Mid Central, and who knows where that could be, maybe too close, or far away, I would hAve liked it if we were informed if the case was in our town. Hot here today. Hope you get a better sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reasons I can think of to go out are library and bedding plants and I'm not in a hurry for those. With winter coming I may just stay in my bubble. I hope the new case is not too close but I think it was from oversees so should be in isolation I would have thought.

      Delete
  2. I am happy people are able to return to work again, but I (like Nancy J above) feel a bit unsure about when and where I will eventually go out again. I think I will pick my destinations very carefully :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miriam has now made and donated over three hundred masks and a whole bunch of scrub cals for medical people too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a wonderful effort. Well done Miriam. The masks I ordered (which have just arrived) were from a firm usually making ladies wear. They are using all the ends of material and voluntary labour to make these masks which come in packs of three and for each pack that is purchased they send a free pack to community organisations.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear that some of your restrictions have been lifted. Lets hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can only hope that people do not overstep the mark.

      Delete
  5. There's just a feeling of freedom around here and that the whole thing is over. No one is wearing masks or staying at home. I hope there is not a flare up.
    NZ has done well. I hope you're all safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is debate here about the wearing of masks. I just hope we don't get a flare up.

      Delete
  6. It is good news, but... people must go carefully. Hope all goes well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed - one has no control over other people's actions.

      Delete