Wednesday, April 15, 2020

DAY 21 LOCKDOWN - WATER RESTRICTIONS

Three weeks in lockdown now.  The weather has turned and is much colder with showers although at the moment the sun is shining.  In spite of the showers we were advised this morning that Level 3 water restrictions come into force tomorrow.  That means no using hoses, sprinklers or irrigation systems.  We can still water the garden with a watering can thank goodness as the showers have not been enough for the seedlings we planted.

This is a photo of our main reservoir it is the second lowest level since it was built in 1969 and the other dam is at the lowest level since it was built in 2003.

Water level at the Whau Valley Dam has fallen below 50 percent, prompting Level 3 restrictions to come into effect from tomorrow. <note>Thur</note> Photo / Michael Cunningham

On the garden front I am very pleased with the beans I sowed in the middle of February.  We have had several pickings so far with more to come.  I have never had beans this late in the season before.



Near the beginning of Lockdown I happened to hear someone advising that the best green vegetable to buy for the lockdown was cabbage.  We don't usually eat a lot of cabbage preferring broccoli but on my first order I bought a whole cabbage and we have been eating a leaf a day.  Today's leaf was shredded and cooked with the beans, a carrot cut in matchsticks and sweetcorn.  The remaining uncut cabbage is keeping extremely well. 

17 comments:

  1. There's a very good Rick Stein recipe where he makes a type of Bolognese sauce, then puts shredded cabbage on the top to steam. When cooked it's all mixed and served. You might find it on YouTube, but I don't know what you'd need to search for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mince is precooked before freezing so I could add the cabbage when reheating it. We have been quite happy with it cooked with the other vegies and served separately. Usually different vegies added each day.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear of the water restriction. Have you a water storage system? We have a 400 gallon storage tank that helps us through most shortages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 2 water barrels (not sure of size) but plan to get a 1,000 litre tank now that the new roof is on the deck. Lockdown came before we got it. I think there will be enough in the barrels seeing as we are getting light showers.

      Delete
  3. Incredible that it is mid April and you still have so little rain. Hope the heavens open sometime soon but not too much!
    I bought a cabbage the other day for the same reason, that it lasts so long. We were running out of tomatoes for salad and I dont want the kids driving up and down without good reason.
    We use it in salad, stuffed cabbage leaves and cabbage and rice. I use it in stir fries, but only I eat those. Stir fry is not traditional greek

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have had such a dry summer I am not surprised there have been water restrictions put in place, only surprised they've not been done sooner. Many of those on rain water tank supply have had to order water in.

    The beans look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought we would have had these restrictions earlier - most places further north have been on much stricter restrictions for some time. The beans were delicious. I will try and remember to sow late ones next season as well.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed reading your posts. Life sure is different right now. Hope you get some long gentle rain showers. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, gentle is what we need. There have been cyclones in the Pacific Islands but we don't want them.

      Delete
  6. Cabbage is one of my go to veg at the moment. Two weeks ago I bought a large really compact pointed green cabbage which has served us really well. Cooked with meals, and also made into coleslaw with added apple, raisins, nuts, red onion, and shredded carrots, and a homemade dressing - we love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I would have bought one if I hadn't heard that suggestion but it has been excellent value and very tasty especially when mixed with other vegies. Must make a coleslaw one day soon.

      Delete
  7. We use carrots mainly to make coleslaw, but we also make a cabbage casserole, and we shred it in stir fries,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cabbage briefly microwaved with a splash of water, a dab of butter and a light sprinkle of caraway seeds is something I enjoy - and I don't normally like cabbage.
    Great you are still picking beans. One never knows what the season will be like, but it is always worth planting "just in case" - as you have proved :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have never grown them this late before but am so glad I gave it a go. We have been getting a good handful every day so far.

      Delete