Saturday, April 18, 2020

DAY 24 LOCKDOWN

From last night's weather forecast we were expecting heavy rain today but instead it has been sunny with the occasional shower.  At least our water barrels are now full.

Today was the first day that we have not had a live Covid 19 press briefing but there are 13 new cases in the country.  

Doug has been getting on with doing the autumn clean up of the flower garden.  I, meanwhile, phoned a friend and had a long chat then pricked out some of my vegetable seedlings before getting lunch.  We went back to rice today as, since the temperatures began to fall, we have been eating more mash or roast vegetables and have now run out of potatoes and kumara (sweet potatoe).  We will (hopefully) get both in our supermarket delivery on Monday.  Still rice is no hardship and I also have gluten free pasta.  

So we now wait and see - on Monday we will be told whether level 4 is to continue or we go back down to level 3 with some more businesses being able to open,  It will mean that restaurants could have contactless food delivery.  Apparently, lots of people can't wait to have takeaways.  I am afraid they would all go broke if they had to rely on us as I much prefer my own cooking with real food.




14 comments:

  1. I am still proud to say that I've never visited McDonalds, or (heaven forbid) eaten one of their burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to McDonald's here in Whangarei about 30 years ago as it was a good meeting point when we were returning the grandchildren to their parents. Halfway point, clean toilets and children's playground.

      Delete
  2. All I miss in the restaurant or cafe menu is a real coffee. Maybe this is a suggestion to buy my own espresso machine. Although a lessening of the restrictions will help so many, in my heart I hope that the #4 level stays till there are no new cases for over 14 days. Maybe just too much to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are tea drinkers so coffee doesn't worry us. I would rather they left level 4 a bit longer as you suggest.

      Delete
  3. 24 days in lockdown. I hope you get some more freedom soon. I dont see things changing here in the next few weeks. They are afraid that if rules are relaxed numbers will rise again.
    Everyone is waiting for the hairdressers to open, including me so I can get my fringe straightened out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are quite happy in lockdown and don't want it relaxed too early. Ready for the library though and hair a bit woolly but no one sees it.

      Delete
  4. Can't remember when I last had a take-away, probably fish and chips at the coast. Anyway I can't see them lifting any restrictions here for a good while yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know whether they will be lifted tomorrow. There is one new case today that can't be tracked.

      Delete
  5. We do take away about twice a year from a local Indian restaurant where the food is excellent and the prices reasonable. Other than that we cook our own - and since we both enjoy cooking it works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't actually remember when I last had a takeaway. Most likely 2009 when we were moving house and stayed with friends in Auckland for several weeks. It would have been Thai.

      Delete
  6. Takeaways were a rare treat in our household, as I generally cooked everything from scratch. I still prefer my own cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a treat here - as you say - prefer my own cooking.

      Delete
  7. Here in Nashville there are many restaurants so to stay in business they offer free delivery. I have not used one yet as I still have some groceries, although some meals are unusual as I have to combine what I have left on the shelf and the refrigerator. It is quite lovely outside and makes it hard not to walk out and look at the spring blooms – have not been out of the house for 34 days now. It is also very difficult for children to stay indoors all the time – parents are going nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I have now put you back on blogs I follow. If we go to the next level takeaways will be allowed. We have had no problem with supplies - another order will come tomorrow.

      Delete