Saturday, September 26, 2020

SATURDAY GROWERS' MARKET AND SULTANA CAKE

A lovely morning so we went to the Growers Market for the first time since Lockdown.  Not quite as early as we used to but we got there a bit before 8.00 a.m.  We decided to go today as daylight savings ends tonight so it will get light later next week.

Anyway, we were surprised by the fact that a lot of stalls were not there and those that were had much less produce.

We have pulled out most of our greens getting the garden ready for summer planting.  The stall that we often buy from only had half cabbages and the broccoli was pretty small and I didn't buy anything from them.  I did get a bunch of spinach from another stall (I still have some growing but not a lot).  I also bought a bunch of watercress and at another stall a whole cabbage and at another stall a camembert.

Our other purchases were fruit.  A bag of  granny smith apples, one of gala apples, one of naval oranges and one of tangelos.  We also bought a punnet of baby beetroot seedlings, one of lobelia and one of  a painted daisy chrysanthemum, although the weather is fine the forecast is for heavy rain and strong winds tomorrow so we will not plant them just yet.  I hope the front moves over before Monday and our Parkinson walk.

When we had put everything away and had breakfast I made a cake.  I have a gluten free cooking book from the Library (to try before I decide whether to buy it)  It uses a special mix of flours so is a bit fiddly mixing the flours but I recently made some little sultana cakes that were a big hit.  I decided to make the same recipe as a cake today so used a ring tin  and it seems to have come out well.  




Will have a slice with a cup of tea shortly.


16 comments:

  1. I might go to our small local market this morning. I need bread, and will try to find a few other essentials at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that at V du P? I presume that is where you shop.

      Delete
  2. We have planted out some tomatoes, but will need to get the wind break ready. Hope the far south doesn't get too much cold wet snow, they are right in the middle of lambing,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the tomatoes and lambs are ok. Sounds as though it could be a bit rough.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It was good to get back to it but disappointing that there was less than usual.

      Delete
  4. The cake came out perfect and I bet it tasted good also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I enjoy baking but then find it do very tempting. I am torn between having something ready in case of visitors and knowing I will eat more than I should. (We are lucky that we can have visitors).

      Delete
  5. I bought broccoli and lettuces today. We are in the in-between season. There are still a few tomatoes and zucchini about and grapes but not much else in our gardens.
    I see your daylight saving ends. Our is due to change at the end of October though there is a rumour that daylight saving will be abolished here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some lettuces in the garden but you have reminded me that I must sow more when today's storm has passed. I wish they would abolish daylight savings here as I much prefer getting out in the garden early.

      Delete
  6. You can usually get good stuff at farmer's markets, though I've been avoiding my local one lately as they don't seem to be taking the Coronavirus restrictions very seriously. That cake looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our market seemed safe but we have had so few cases one has a false sense of security. Cake was good.

      Delete
  7. I have been making cakes with buckwheat flour..gluten free and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use buckwheat flour mainly for gallettes or mixed with other flour, have not tried it in cakes, I must.

      Delete
  8. Very wet here this morning but it is meant to be gone by lunchtime - I guess it is heading your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard the rain start just before 6 a.m. although there may have been some earlier but it stopped about 10 a.m. and then fine.

      Delete