Saturday, September 5, 2020

SCAM EMAILS

Why can't people use their energy to make money in a legitimate way instead of trying to scam money from innocent people.  I had a scam email this week purporting to be from the New Zealand Transport Agency wanting me to renew my registration.  I also recently received one supposedly from the Inland 
Revenue telling me I had a tax refund and then I noticed I had received another earlier in the year also about car registration.  At first sight these emails look genuine and, if one was tired or in a hurry, it would be easy to "click" on them thinking they were genuine.  I take a screenshot of the emails and then notify the appropriate authorities so that they have a record of the scams.








 A cloudy but fine day today and Doug is making a "Sculpture" in his workshop  while I have been busy making soup.  I don't know where other bloggers in New Zealand get their kumara but I have been buying the 2kg. bags of "Odd Bunch" Kumaras from Countdown and find them a good size, a good price (you get 2 kg for the usual price of 1 kg)  and in the last bag as well as the Owairaka red skin, creamy flesh, there were the Beauregard with their orange flesh and Purple Dawn with purple flesh.  For lunch we had a mash of one ordinary potato, one Beauregard and one Purple Dawn and it was very tasty.



16 comments:

  1. These scammers are pure scum. We've hadseveral of the tax refund ones over the years; the first of which was about a month before Christmas. We are not fooled by such nonsense, but many people (for whom a bit of extra cash before Christmas would be heaven-sent) can easily be. I wonder if any of these people are ever caught?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a trip outand drive on SH 12 between Ruawai and Dargaville and buy your Kumara by the sack from one of the road side stalls. Much cheaper than the supermarkets. Helen in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have done that in the past although not always happy with them. We used to buy a sack from Grower's Market but have not been back since Lockdown and have been very pleased with the "odd bunch" ones. Whereabouts in France are you

      Delete
    2. I live between Poitiers,Angoulême and Limoges in central western France in the Nouvelle Aquitaine region. OH and I usually spend 4 months per year in New Zealand having a small house in Ruawai. However we won't be coming for our usual summer holiday this year. We have friends who live in Kamo.

      Delete
    3. I see you live a couple of hours north of my brother. Sounds a great lifestyle 8 months in France and 4 here in New Zealand. I looked up to see if you blogged but could find nothing.

      Delete
    4. So where does your brother live? Going south from here for two hours is he in the Dordogne? A couple of years ago we bought some kumura back and planted them - we had 22 kg from 5 tubers. I think our climate must be similar to that part of Northland. I don't blog but enjoy reading others from different parts of the world.

      Delete
  3. In terms of the food items you mention potato is the only one I recognize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mentioned different varieties of kumara which is the New Zealand Sweet Potatoe.

      Delete
  4. I would love a good pumpkin instead of watery squash and some Kumara . Yum for the soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We prefer Buttercup or Butternut.

      Delete
    2. Which I suppose are squash rather than pumpkin. Have a pumpkin at present.

      Delete
  5. I recently paid my registration online after getting an email saying it was due - I am so glad it wasn't a scam and I received my registration in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had just renewed when I got this email so knew it was not genuine but it looked very realistic.

      Delete
  6. These sort of people are so evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Doc, and there are lots of them just planning how to scam people. If they put their energy into something legitimate they could do great things.

      Delete