Monday, September 7, 2020

THE BEANS AND TODAY'S WALK

Today's walk was along the Waimahanga Track.  It is a lovely walk and the Tuis were serenading us although I was unable to get a photo.  There were, however, plenty of flowers for them to gather nectar.  There were several banksias





and manuka or Teatree

These tiny flowers are a bit blurry as the wind had got up and they were moving around.  I can't think of their name



I can't think of the name of this one either - I don't think it is a native.


and a bottle brush

There was also the one I took a photo of last week.  These would all encourage the Tuis.

It was a lovely walk and the forecast had been for early rain but it came later than expected and we got quite wet in a very heavy downpour so passed on the visit to a cafe.  We went home to change into dry clothes and then went back to the library and do a supermarket shop.

Back home I cooked lunch then we cooked up Sophie's dinner before I got the rubbish ready for the morning while Doug did the dishes.  3.40 p.m. now and time to sit down with a cuppa.

The Beans

 Yesterday's photo of the beans I received from Jean

and the photo I found on line of Carioca beans from Brazil


The lines look the same.  Jean said they ate them fresh pods and all but it sounds as though they are used as a dried bean.  Anyway, we look forward to trying them.  Apparently they are similar to the pinto bean.

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the flower photos, and your walk of course. I had forgotten what a manuka flower looked like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Manuka are flowering particularly well this year.

      Delete
  2. Walking is good, even if you do get wet! Lovely photos as ever.
    I await bean growing progress! I sowed pinto beans this year, but possibly too late to get a good enough crop to dry..and they were shoved in a spare corner of the plot!! Better next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the getting wet didn't matter, it was just the thought of staying in wet clothes while going to the Library and grocery shopping. It is a particularly good walk 5 kms there and back, some of the group just went about 2/3 of the way.

      Delete
  3. Those two beans certainly do look similar. I too look forward to hearing how you get on with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bottle brush bush/tree. (Don't know which one it is, technically.) We have them here--an import from your neck of the woods--as well.

    ReplyDelete