Monday, September 28, 2020

QUARRY GARDENS

Today our Parkinson walk was at the Quarry Gardens.  The last time we were due to do this walk was on 20th July when the whole of the north had been hit by a Major Weather Event. Major damage had been done and the gardens closed but lots of volunteers were busy working. I posted some photos here a couple of days later.

It was great to get back there today and, we were lucky with the weather.




An area that still needs work





This area has obviously had a lot of work on it


and this is the other side of the road where the water must have ended up









The photo below was taken sitting on a bench overlooking the lake.  I think we may well come here for a picnic over summer




I don't know what it is but I would not want this plant with all its thorns in my garden.



The big gong reminded me of my mother.  She went to an auction and decided to help the bidding along on a gong the size of the middle part of this one and we ended up taking it home.  I don't know what happened to it.  Doug had to have a go on this one.



I loved the different textures and colours in these three trees.




I don't know what the plant below is but loved its shape


and, finally, some lovely lavender plants in the perfume garden.

We had one short shower but apart from that it was lovely sunshine and I really enjoyed the walk.  

10 comments:

  1. I remember the gong being at West Chiltington, but I don't remember seeing it after that. Beautiful plants; and a lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite fascinating how language evolves. We don't have bad storms any more, we have major weather events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storm that hit in July really was a major weather event and State Highway 1 which is the main road through both islands is still closed further north because of a massive slip in the Mangamuka Gorge. The problem is that the land above the road is unstable and it could be closed for some time to come.

      Delete
  3. That was some storm. A visit there will be on our list if we can manage to come again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't know when the Mangamuka Gorge will reopen. The Quarry Gardens are well worth a visit.

      Delete
  4. That is a massive gong. I'll bet it had a rich, resonant sound. The gardens look stunning. Glad the storm didn't do more damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't really get the storm this time but it is amazing the work the volunteers have done since the July storm.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely garden. Where would we be if we didn't have volunteers to help create these beautiful places? I'm sure you will be visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do it every so often with the Walking Group and on our own. There is a good cafe but not open Monday and Tuesday so the group has to go elsewhere.

      Delete